Friday, December 24, 2010

Believing.

I have to start this entry by first, repenting.  The honest truth is that I am tired and stressed.  It is Christmas Eve and the last thing I wanted to do tonight was blog.  However, the Lord dealt with me (like He always does) and I need to share what God has put on my heart.  I need forgiveness for my misguided attempt to be disobedient.

I know by looking at the picture for this post, you're probably wondering where I'm going with this...  As we prepare to celebrate the birth of our Savior and enter another year, there is something stirring in my spirit.  I struggle with the fact that there are millions of people who will "celebrate" Christmas tomorrow, yet completely deny God or the birth of Jesus Christ (let alone His death for our sins).

As I meditated on this thought, the Lord revealed something to me.  He showed me all of the preposterous things we believe (and even encourage others to believe), yet still deny Him.  In the spirit of the holiday season, let's use something current as an example.  Santa Claus.  We market him, celebrate him and even ask him for things (I've heard Santa wish lists read with more passion than many prayers).  As if that isn't enough, we perpetuate the entire belief with our kids.

With what other things do we do this?  The tooth fairy?  The Easter Bunny?  Big Foot?  The Lochness Monster?  UFOs?  Aliens?  And no matter how ridiculous the myth or legend, those who celebrate their claims will still not face as much criticism as someone who shares the gospel and the good news of Christ.

Why do we put more trust in a corrupt government to deliver our tax return than we do in the righteous God who delivered us from hell?

I remember as Obama and Bush ran their respective presidential campaigns, Obama's motto was, "Hope."  It was plastered on every poster, pin and commercial.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."  Hebrews 11:1 (KJV)

This Christmas, I urge you; If you can truly open your mind to a myriad of nonsense, why not open your heart to someone who is real?

No comments: